Dear Fellow Nevadan

Dear Fellow Nevadan,

COVID-19 has created an unprecedented crisis, affecting the global economy and our way of life. The pandemic has hit Nevada’s economy especially hard, threatening the livelihoods of Nevada’s hard-working families. My number one priority is keeping Nevadans safe and economically secure, as well as ensuring you and your loved ones have access to the most up-to-date and accurate information. That is why I’m writing to you with important information on how to file a claim for unemployment benefits in Nevada.

The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Actwhich I proudly voted in favor of on March 27, 2020, included several key provisions to support workers, including four months of enhanced unemployment insurance (UI), a temporary additional payment of $600 each week in Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation for workers eligible for federal or state unemployment benefits, and a new federal program called Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) for individuals who are unable to work due to the public health emergency and who are not eligible for traditional unemployment insurance, such as independent contractors and self-employed individuals.

For more information on these programs, visit the Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation (DETR) and the Nevada Unemployment Insurance websites.

As you may have heard, Nevada’s unemployment office is processing a high volume of claims and benefits may be delayed.

To address the UI claims backlog, DETR is requesting that people filing initial or weekly claims online, do so alphabetically by last name on certain days of the week to help with online traffic:

  • A-K on Sunday
  • L-R on Monday
  • S-Z on Tuesday
  • ALL Wednesday-Saturday

You can file a UI claim online in English and in Spanish. You can also watch tutorial videos in English and Spanish for step-by-step guidance on how to file your claim online.

You can also file a UI claim on the phone by calling:

  • Northern Nevada: (775) 684–0350
  • Southern Nevada: (702) 486–0350
  • Rural Nevada: (888) 890–8211
  • Toll-free Hotline for general questions: (800) 603-9671

You’ll need the following information to file a UI claim:

  • Social Security Number and identification, such as a driver’s license or passport;
  • Names, addresses, phone number(s), and dates you worked for your last 2 employers; and
  • A list of names (corporate name) of all employers you have worked for in the last 18 months.
  • If you are not a citizen of the United States, you must have your Alien Registration number and expiration date.
  • If you have been discharged from the military in the last 18 months, you must have a copy of your DD-214.
  • If you have worked for the Federal Government in the last 18 months, you must have a copy of your SF-8 or SF-50.

These are difficult times, but Nevadans are resilient and together we will overcome this pandemic. 


Click here to access my website’s resource page. Check the page frequently – we’ll be updating it with additional resources as we have them.

You can access any of the resources directly below:

As always, I want to hear from you. Contact my office, find me on TwitterFacebookInstagramemail me, or sign up for my e-newsletter to receive regular updates on my legislative work.

It’s an absolute honor to represent you in