Remembering Theodore M. Moore



By: Su Phelps and Megan Way Photos by: Su Phelps and Lawrence Oravetz

Theodore Mervin Moore passed away in Las Vegas, Nevada on November 23rd, 2018 at the age of 84. Son of Helen Margaret (nee Taylor) and James Moore, he was born on December 19th, 2933 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From the union of Helen and James four sons were born: James Russell Moore, William Wesley Moore, Donald Vernon Moore (all who have preceded him in death), and Theodore Mervin Moore.

He was educated at Douglass High School in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma graduating I 1952. From there he returned to Albuquerque, New Mexico to attend the University of New Mexico. He then joined the United States Marine Corps on September 9th, 1956 where he served for 21 years. During his time of service, he received several awards and medals, retiring as a Major on September 1st, 1975. He was a proud member of the Montford Point Marine Association (Los Angeles Chapter) and a Mason.

He was married October 17th, 1970 to Gertrude (“Trudy”) Eady Moore from South Carikuba. She Preseded him in death September 14th, 2001.

Theodore’s (“Ted”) loving memories will forever be cherished by his daughter, Bonnie Boyce and son-in-law James Boyce, Sr.; grandchildren Jamie Nicole Boyce and Austin Sebastine Boyce; step-grandson James Boyce, Jr. of Texas, brother Jimmy Lee (Loretta) Moore of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; sister-in-law Barbara Moore; two nephews Brian and Gary (Amy) Moore of Fontana, California and a host of nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

A Celebration to honor the life of Major Theodore M. Moore was held at Davis Funeral Home-Rainbow Chapel, on Saturday, December 1st, 2018 at 11:00am. He was given a full military burial and service with a 21-gun salute by the Nellis Air Force Base. Chaplain Major Dave Jobman from Marine Corps League Detachment #1186 gave the opening prayer. One of Moore’s close friends, L.E. Michael Johnson, retired USMC and Vice President of Mont Ford Point Marine Association Western Region arranged the funeral. The Leatherneck Club supported the funeral by giving a 21-gun salute that was done by their members.